Read this first!

Saturday, 28 May 2011

The Dance of Life

"One step forward, two steps back." Sound familiar? Two things come to mind for me actually: getting backtracked in life, and dance lessons. I think it's a pretty cool coincidence. As a believer in the "everything happens for a reason" theory and also that everything is connected, it enhances my philosophy of life.

I came about this epiphany on a social networking site, where one friend angrily described her frustrations with a sudden occurrence in life using the old phrase "One step forward, two steps back." Seconds later, another friend, with no knowledge of or relation to the first friend, then happily expressed her desire of wanting to learn proper dance steps. An amazing coincidence I think!

Sure, we may face obstacles in life, some of which not only stand in our way, but set us back after trying to reach that far. But, as I try to remind myself, one day I will look back and understand why, just as I do today. Whether it is God, fate, or just the way things are, this is the dance of life. Sometimes we know where we're going, and sometimes we don't. Sometimes we're swept off our feet before taking another step, sometimes we take a wrong step and we fall.

At each moment, that's all we're focused on: the moment. However, I know that personally, I can look back on many of my own moments and understand exactly why I needed to be swirled away at the moments I was, or why I went at a steady rhythm in some places. At this moment right now, I'm thankful for every step; whether it was forward or backward.

Each step has led me to certain places I needed to be, which then provided me with experiences that molded me into the person I am today.

As a very young child, I would get excited for some things to the extent where I was told I was "over hyper" and I grew up with the nickname "Tigger" for my avid excitement from my pre-walking days onwards. Yet, due to several experiences, I was very shy in public, especially around people I didn't know.

When I started first grade, I was introduced to the school choir and immediately signed myself up. With the same energy I became involved in most, if not all, school activities as well as various community events and community groups. The life-long experiences of school-wide activities, community events, and additional responsibilities of my roles with both, gave me the responsibility, knowledge, and capability to relate to many different people and situations.

Of course it wasn't always picture perfect. I have been involved in organizations where schemes against me were being organised by many members, where I had to take the blame for the actions of others without reciprocating the negativity to them, where I had to choose between the importance of helping others and the importance of my physical health, and so on.

During moments such as those, I couldn't understand why such things were going on. I questioned myself, my purpose in the organizations, and the intentions of others and so on. The confusion passed, the hurt passed, the difficulty passed, and the moments passed. Looking back, each obstacle was overshadowed by a bigger one down the road. When I was faced with a previous obstacle, I had the experience to step around or over it properly, and it didn't seem as big anymore.

In all honesty, what I'm saying here is what I constantly remind myself every time I take "one step forward, [and] two steps back". Go with it. One day you'll understand. Stop questioning or cursing everything from the road to the moon. Bad breakup? When you're over it and find someone better you'll be glad it happened. Lost your job? When you get a better job, you'll be happier. Betrayed by someone close to you? When you find out what kind of person they really are, you'll be glad it was over sooner rather that later. Didn't make the final cut? Something better will come your way.

Keep the faith, and don't give up. Guess how many of us (including me) learned not to touch a hot stove? We were burned by it first. For some, (including me) it took a few times. We were surprised, we were hurt, and we were confused, but as we took our "two steps back" after that "one step forward" it was to teach us something, wasn't it? Now we know better.

So keep going. Go with the flow of the dance of life. It will take you where you need to be.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, A.J.
    Some of "us" never seem to learn this difficult lesson. The roadblocks, the hurdles never end because we keep hitting the same one over and over again, without taking the time to consider there is a better way forward; that we met the obstacle yesterday, or last week. We did not learn:( One step forward, four steps back.
    Your reminder is thoughtful and will help me through another (exciting) day. Thanks for posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pat. It means a lot to me to know I produced something insightful to someone. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete