Read this first!

Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Clarifying My Nationality

I'm not bothering anyone with anything lengthy today. It just occurred to me that of the many things that define me, my nationality is not among them. I live in Trinidad, I'm Trinidadian, and I grew up in three different countries. When I'm in Trinidad, Trinidadians think I'm either American, Venezuelan, or mixed. When I'm in Venezuela I either blend in or look Indian. When I'm in NY I either look Venezuelan, Indian, or mixed. Nobody ever guesses my nationality right - not even in my own country! I know restating it here won't make them stop, but I'll still give it a shot. I am an Indo-Trinidadian. That means I was born in Trinidad and Tobago and my ancestors came from India three generations ago. No, I am not mixed, I am not "Spanish", I didn't live in Venezuela because I'm Venezuelan, and looking a little different does not change my nationality. Thank You.




P.S. Leave my hair alone.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha!
    So, you are...what was that again? :) Just a wonderful human being with an automobile in the bedroom:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! Thanks Pat! I guess that covers it!

    ReplyDelete